The Team Maturity Index (TMI™) is a Team Capability Reference Model within the Organisation Capability Maturity Framework (OrgCMF™) and underpinned by Dynamic Systems Maturity Theory (DSMT).
The TMI Reference Model identifies the three (3) core forces (Dynamics) that influence a team’s performance within an organisation, and the eighteen (18) underpinning Capability Building Blocks (Constructs) that determine the level of functioning (performance) of any team.
• Organisation Performance (Value Chain) o How effective is the organisation in engaging and enabling teams achieve high performance contribution to the organisations value creation?
• Team Performance (Process) o How effective is the team (are teams) in organising and working which delivers high performance for their team function/role?
• Individual Performance (Practices) o How well do individuals achieve their potential working within a team that delivers high performance?
Using the seven (7) level standard, normative maturity scale from OrgCMF™ we can measure the current Capability Maturity of any team in its organisation context, which explains its current level of functioning, or learning level and hence its resulting performance (outcomes and practices). A target can be set for improving the Team Capability Maturity towards the Leadership Level (Level 7) and the TMI Body of Knowledge and related assessment report provides specific guidance through the development process for any team within an organisation (Roadmap).
We can also measure each of the three core ‘Dynamics’ and each of its eighteen ‘Constructs’ or any relevant mix of each.
Existing Models and Tools in general fall into three categories:
• Team Process Centric (e.g. Tuckman’s Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing)
• Team Member Centric (e.g. Myers-Briggs Personality Test)
• Team Maturity Model Centric (e.g. various, with no reference standard or leader)
The TMI is a Team Maturity Model Centric approach that;
• Is based on underlying management science, research and theory.
• Includes a normative, reference model maturity Scale
• Includes both Team Process, Team Member and Organisation Context
• Complements existing Models and tools which are descriptive and less sophisticated for today’s VUCA environment for teams.
• Has Dynamic Systems Maturity Theory in its DNA and is consistent with OrgCMF™
• Is accessible, usable and useful for any team on-line out of the box
• Can be used at anytime in the life cycle of a team, to diagnose and remediate team performance issues, or as the basis of a roadmap for Team Development & Improvement.